Schott N.Y.C.

ANY QUESTIONS? FEEL FREE TO EMAIL, CALL 1-800-631-5407 OR

YOU CALL THE SCHOTTS

steelydave

FUNFACT: steelydave can kill two stones with one bird.

671 Easy Rider is too big - options?

Let me preface this by saying that I've been coveting a Schott Easy Rider jacket for almost 10 years now. Much like the way you'd peer longingly at that car or motorcycle that's out of your financial reach every time you went past the dealership, I'd regularly come to this website and look at it. However, I could never make it work for me financially between the price increases and being out of work myself occasionally over the last few years.

I'd pretty much given up on my dream of being able to get one, but I occasionally searched eBay Canada for leather motorcycle jackets hoping I might at least get a good deal on a nice vintage Schott cafe racer jacket (or similar) as a result of a poorly described auction.  Recently, my dreams (almost) totally came true - I managed to get an almost-brand new Easy Rider jacket for just over $100 US because the seller had only described it as 'leather motorcycle jacket' and the first photo in the auction didn't really show the jacket properly.

Obviously if you're on this website reading this, you know that this is pretty much the deal of the century.  The problem is, the jacket is a 40, and I'm a 38 (or maybe 37 if there was such a thing) - I knew this before I bought it, but I couldn't resist the price and was hoping the jacket would fit a bit smaller than size.
The length of the jacket and the length of the arms is perfect, but it's quite a bit looser in the torso than I'd like. It fits well enough that I can wear it, but the perfectionist in me wants my dream jacket to fit like a dream too.

So my options as I see them, are this:

1. Keep the jacket as-is (aka learn to like it).
  2. Try and trade the jacket for one in my size (where?)
  3. Sell the jacket and put the money toward one in my size.
  4. Have the jacket altered to fit me. (I was considering this, as there is a reputable leather shop in Toronto that said they may be able to do this for $200 pending an inspection to see if the position of the pockets and seams will allow for it. However, the more I've thought about it the more it feels like cutting the Mona Lisa out of it's frame because it's too big for the wall it's on.)
  5. Some other option I haven't considered.

I really think that Schott jackets are beautiful, and totally worth what they cost - if I had a dollar for every time I've put this jacket on since I've got it, I'd be able to buy a new one already!  The problem is there's just no way that I'm going to be able to afford one at retail prices in the foreseeable future, so I'm really hoping I can figure out some way to make this work. I'd be grateful for any advice or opinions on how I should proceed.

Thanks for reading,

Dave.

Gail on 04/01/14 at 06:17 AM

There is no other options it appears you have listed all your options for the sizing issue. You can post the jacket on this blog under Trade/Sell option, maybe someone needs a slightly larger jacket that you could trade with. Gail

gixxer11 on 04/01/14 at 07:06 AM

i had the same problem! bought one for £150 never worn , just a bit too big ! sold for £300 , then one came up on ebay in my size buy it now for £150 ! fitted perfect ! PLUS the fact it was nicely worn in! yes work it out , it was free! lol sell it buddy or swap it you wont be happy till you do ! all the best

LouisBailie on 04/02/14 at 09:56 PM

size 37-38?  Try eating some pizza or lifting weights.

Maybe your sister has a sweatshirt you could wear under it.

richgreene on 04/03/14 at 01:09 AM

Laughin my Arse off Louis  !!!!----You beat me to it.

Please Wait While Loading ...
LOADING MORE