Schott N.Y.C.

ANY QUESTIONS? FEEL FREE TO EMAIL, CALL 1-800-631-5407 OR

YOU CALL THE SCHOTTS

peach64

FUNFACT: peach64 can unscramble an egg.

618 Perfecto HH in size 54

Hey Gail, I was just wondering, if I ordered a 618 Perfecto HH in size 54 would it be long enough for me? I'm 6'2" would the length be enough to reach my waist?, a regular 118 comes close enough. If so, I'll make a trip to see Julien in Linden. thank you, Jerry

Gail on 03/27/14 at 09:54 AM

Jerry, Based on your height you need the style 118L(long)the 618 will be too short in the sleeve and back length. If you need the size 54, the 618 may not fit you as it is sized smaller, compatible to a size 52 jacket. The 118 & 618 in regulars both have a 27" back length and the 618/54 is 2" smaller in the chest compared to a 118/54. Gail

Albatross on 03/27/14 at 06:52 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't think that someone who has their mind set on horsehide will so easily go with cowhide, or any other hide for that matter, just because this other jacket would perhaps fit them better.

People usually go for horsehide after they've done some extensive research about different hides and their properties, and let's face it, claims about how superior horsehide is compared to any other hide can be found pretty much everywhere online so... If a person can't get what they want from one vendor, they'll take their business elsewhere.

My point is, I don't think you guys could go wrong with having a small batch of both cafe racer and perfecto styles made of horse in Long sizes. . .

richgreene on 03/27/14 at 08:17 PM

I go along with Albatross' thinking too. Also looks like the Co. is gearing more towards the trendy set moreso than the bikeriders jackets. Witness the new 1776 Edition at a Cool 2 Grand !!!!---Reminds me of a Seinfield episode (HAHA). It seems that nows the time to start looking at other manufacturers---AND there ARE other good ones that'll work with you on a big/tall mens size. Most of Schotts customers seem to be little short guys that are swimming in anything larger than a size 36.

peach64 on 03/27/14 at 10:27 PM

Hi Everyone, I'd like to thank everyone for your input, it is much valued. I just got home from work and I must say that both Albatross and Rich must have read my mind today. Bottom line is I'm a biker, and living in a congested area like the Jersey Shore with zombies driving behind the wheel, the only protection I have is a) my wits, b) my helmet, and c) my jacket…horsehide is superior. Gail, both of these gentlemen have made valid points, can't Schott make a 618 HH in a size that will fit a biker?, after all, Perfecto is a motorcycle jacket, right? Hey Rich & Albatross I'm with you guys for getting long 618 HH's, and I know a few others that would want in too Thanks

Gail on 03/28/14 at 07:26 AM

We do offer the horsehide jacket, unfortunately the size 54 will be too small for you based on your 54" chest size. We do offer custom jackets if you are unable to find your size in a Horsehide leather made by another manufacturer as suggested by another post. We want everyone to be able to purchase a jacket they want whether it is from Schott or someone, we can only try our best to accommodate as many of our customers as we can. Please note the horsehide and the naked cowhide are the same weight and thickness as the horsehide leather. The horsehide feels like it provides more protection because of the high gloss finish that makes the leather very rigid and stiff. Actually horses have a much finer and softer hair than cow so the follicle openings are smaller by comparison. When tanning horsehide, a very smooth texture can be achieved. Horses today lead a comparatively stress free life and are not exposed to harsh conditions in general. As a result, the horsehides are generally damage or scar free which makes for a visually aesthetic garment. Horsehide can often be boardy and stiff with very little give to the leather. Once fully matured, horses are not inclined to expand their body size tremendously. This causes tensile weakness. In other words, horsehide may be thick but the fibers holding it together are denser but they are not as flexible. The horsehide will take time to break-in, but will provide many years of wear Cow, on the other hand, has a thick coat of hair which is coarse. A tanned cowhide can often show the natural pebble of hair cells and the scars which come from an open range environment. The tendency to loose and gain weight with the seasons makes cowhide very flexible and resistant to tears and abrasions. A jacket cut from a cow or steer will, in general, conform to the body for the life of its wearer. I hope this comparison between the horsehide and cowhide leathers will show you both the horsehide and cowhide leathers will provide you with the same protection. Gail

Albatross on 03/28/14 at 07:53 AM

Same here, Peach, and I know how frustrating this can be as I've hit the same wall before. I wanted to buy a 641 cafe racer in horsehide but the sleeves were too short. Schott recommended 141L but of course, I've done my reading and I didn't want cowhide. I wanted horsehide. Back then, HH didn't cost as much so it wasn't a biggie as I've decided to go for 618HH instead but with todays prices, I can see why people would want to turn to some other manufacturer or vendor. There's a company in Seattle that deals in custom tailored Aero for almost the same kind of money and if you insist on having a Made in USA tag on your jacket but don't have enough cash (or if you're not a real man enough) to deal with good old Stu, there's Vanson with what is probably the finest, toughest and best looking cowhide in the business.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say any of the other companies make better stuff, but they all do offer custom tailoring which is as big a factor as hide. I've bought Schott because, having jackets from all the major manufacturers, I think it's right there on the top and I wanted to own a classic, but the fact remains that I've yet to try on a Schott in my size with sleeves that'd fit.

What Rich said, the company is definitely gearing towards the trendy set but the current biker styled fashion craze will pass and once it does it'll turn into a joke (fate of everything that was once trendy) and you'll be left with only us, serious riders, to whom the hide, the quality of the jacket and tradition of a company really does mean something.

Well us and the Americana obsessed Japanese. :)

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but that's the way I see it and I wouldn't want Schott to fall behind others who are all, after all, basing their designs on a jacket you guys've come up with.

peach64 on 03/28/14 at 09:37 AM

Thank you both for your replies, as it turns out, I work two doors down from Schott Manufacturing, so I am going to put a request in for a custom made 618 HH in my size. Like you said Albatross, to get a jacket made by another company that is going to use Schott as its basic design….it's like buying a Les Paul made by some other company beside Gibson guitars? You can't beat the original design. So Gail…how should I proceed? Should I go see Julien in Linden, and have him take my measurements and put in my custom order through him? thank you, Peach

richgreene on 03/28/14 at 03:35 PM

Also take a look at Legendary Leather USA site---Theyve got a HH Buco knockoff thats MADE BY SCHOTT. The largest they have is a 52---26.5 length and 29" across the pits. I bought 2 48s, a Brown and a Black and believe me when I tell you, theyre Unreal. Im 6'2" and the length is perfect. Just an idea if youre sold on a USA Made Schott. I cant believe it isnt in the Schott store ???-----Probably too manly.

peach64 on 03/28/14 at 08:42 PM

Hey Rich, that is so funny…lol, but true. I was looking at the HH Buco too, talk about coincidences? I'm going to check into it now. thank you again, Peach

Albatross on 03/28/14 at 09:44 PM

Legendary Buco is a tremendously gorgeous jacket and the current price makes it all the more worthy but as much as I actually prefer it over classic design of 618, I still need a jacket with a usable pocket on each side in which I can keep my hands warm.

LouisBailie on 03/28/14 at 10:04 PM

I have Aero Buco Brooks Legendary Schott and Vanson jackets. A couple in Horsehide the rest in cowhide.

Once I treat a cowhide jacket with bick-4 (about 25 times) it wears better and feels nicer than any other jacket. I would rather use the heavier cowhide once treated and broken in than any other leather. It provides the most protection.

(Remember most of the stuff on the internet is written by those whos' roughest ride is on their keyboard when the temp drops below 70 F in their moms' basement.)

I am 6'1" 250 riden about 150K miles over 50  years on every kind and shape of a motorcycle.

I just got both a new Schott 118R and Vanson Manx jacket in 54R PAID A PREMIUM FOR MADE IN USA and the sleeves on the Schott ware too long the body on the Vanson is too tight. I am tring to justify in my mind altering "new" items to fit me, $75 for the Schott, $240 for the Vanson. Black Schott Brown Vanson.

My previous 118 54R from Schott is way shorter in the back and sleeves are correct, my previous Schott 135 in 52 fits perfect, same with my previous Vanson in 52R. 

I will pay to get made in USA stuff but when they begin to nickle and dime me with add on alterations I will in the future go to Old World or Aero for the correct fit in one transaction.

Most companies like selling items that fit. The look better on the customer and provide free advertizing by word of mouth. The BEST companies will make them fit, even if they need to be altered at NO CHARGE.

Never had this problem before the new girlyboy belieber crowd started wearing "biker"  jackets.

FCS my bulldog wears a bigger size than some of the current "mens" smaller jackets sizes.

peach64 on 03/28/14 at 10:30 PM

Thank you Louis, my size 52 118 I have fits very good, but I am thinking of buying a Buco? The size 50 618 was made for a 5'4" stripper with big cans? For my life I can't see how a man size 50 could be so short, unless he's spending a lot of time in restaurants and NOT riding. I'm 6'2" as well, but wish I was 250, more like 280, but am dropping weight now due to diet and exercise and trying karate at 50…lol Everything you mentioned is absolute truth…Amen brother! Before I go the Buco J23 route, I'm going to reach out to a local dealer for Schott here in Jersey, then go from there? Lost Worlds seems like an interesting company? I'll keep everyone posted Peach

LouisBailie on 03/28/14 at 10:56 PM

Send me a PM I will give you some BIG money saving advice about purchasing Schott jackets.

richgreene on 03/28/14 at 11:11 PM

Louis --you about said it all with what you said regarding these jackets. Hell--Most of the guys I see posting are more concerned over how valuable their jackets are gonna be worth in years to come---Like theyre investing in gold or something. And regarding the sizing of the Perfecto--Some 50s are 25" across and some are 27" so its a crapshoot on what youre getting. I like the Legendary USA site cause they give a measurement menu. I too have been riding 40+ years and Im definately into Looks AND Function. For me the Schott/Legendary Black Stallion is the choice for me.  The line of skinnyboy fashion (What they CALL Perfectos)n is a travesty and a loy of future riders'll be going with a different brand ---IMO.

richgreene on 03/28/14 at 11:20 PM

One last thing Peach--And I dont wanna come across as a knowitall BUT the Lost Worlds jacket is about the poorest choice you can find. A few years ago when they were $800 I bought one and it was so short and without the rear arm gussets/footballs when I sat in a chair and assumed a riding position it rose up damn near to my chest (HAHA)---My wife almost fell over Laughing---"You paid $800 for that POS ??"--I immediately sent it back for refund and got the Stallion.

LOADING MORE